Thursday, October 18, 2012

Communication 101

As a child I used to look at my parents and think they had this parenting thing down. Now as a parent I realize that they were just as new to it as I am. Okay, I know, I have had 7 years of experience, but as many of you are finding out each step in life presents new adventures, obstacles, opportunities to grow, and improve. Not only that, but each child is different. Who would have thought.

Now, with that said I mentioned in the previous post that I was a worried mama bear. In thinking about how I was going to deal with this I decided to talk to the girls mother. With this decision came some anxiety. Is her mother going to think I am off the wall, I don't want to come off accusingly, Is she going to see it the way I do? Is she going to think I am a bit crazy, controlling, out of control, or have no grasp to reality?

We met at a local restaurant, and I will say that none of my fears were realized. The girls mother is aware of her personality, and shares some concerns. She didn't seem offended that I asked to get together and I felt that when I left we are on terms where we can be friends and if necessary we can be a strength to one another through this growing up process. With that said I have to say I found relief in getting together.

Communication makes things so much easier, I don't know why it is so hard sometimes. Why I build so many fears and expectations of misunderstanding. Pretty much most of the time I have tried it, things have gone successfully, less pain, and better feelings...weight lifted. Now lets see what the next adventure will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment