Wednesday, September 26, 2012

This entry is going to be a little different from the ones I have posted recently. During my work outs lately instead of grabbing a gossip magazine I have decided to take one of my own magazines. This way I am reading something I otherwise may not make time to do. On my way out the other day I just snatched the first magazine I saw and was out the door.

While walking on the treadmill I opened to this article: How Disciples of Christ live in Times of War and Violence. It is interesting to me that I turned to this. Everywhere we turn we hear of the world falling apart. One looks at the news and you see devastation after devastation. There are those out there who have little or no value on human life. Others are out there claiming the world owes them everything and have done nothing to earn what they claim. People berate and judge each other and think nothing to tear another to pieces. Abuse runs ramped in all forms be it physical, psychological, sexual, mental, verbal...this list is endless, and many times over whelming.

The other night as my husband and I readied ourselves for bed I asked him: "Do you ever worry about what the future holds for our children?" After thinking for only a moment his reply was sincere and simple. He said: "No, because Heavenly Father is in control."When he first responded I was frustrated that I didn't show the same faith. (Sometimes I think I get more caught up in the moment and forget to have my eternal perspective.)

Yesterday as I read the article above it helped me to understand more what he meant. I know he has the same worries I do, we want each of our children to marry their best friend, and to be smart, funny and all that, but the most important thing we can want for them is to know who they are. I believe that when we know who we are it is easier to understand what the Lord has planned for us on an individual basis. Okay maybe understand is the wrong word. How about trust instead. It is easier to trust that the Lord is keenly aware of each of us, and has a plan for each of us. When we realize he is in control and we trust he has our best interest at heart, it is easier to follow the examples put before us, be it through scriptures, journals, or family.

As I read the article above I was reminded of how Father in Heaven has cared for his children in the past. I don't think I have even become to grasp what He is trying to teach me this year. In the beginning of the year I was invited to make an effort to read The Book of Mormon again. Each chapter I read I felt the love the Lord has for his children. Those children who love him and allow themselves to be his instruments weren't always spared hardship. In fact rarely that was the case. However, every time they turned to Him, they were offered comfort, peace of mind, they were made strong, and though some of them were brutally killed, abused, and miss treated, they received the reward for their faith and enduring to the end. We have received the same promise. He never told us that this life would be "comfortable". But I believe that as we go through life and scrape our knees, or have others wound us that he can heal us and help us grow if we but let him.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed by all I see in the news. I feel so blessed to be married to my best friend. My husband, he compliments me in so many ways. I am thankful for our church leaders, I know they are called of God, and I am looking forward to hearing from them here next weekend. They are inspired men. I know God loves each of His children. I am thankful for the Savior and his following through with his promise to us. There truly are things to be grateful for. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment