Wednesday, September 26, 2012

While at the gym today I came across this article: Loving My Enemies. As I read this article I realized I do not have enemies like the author of this article. However I have had people come into my life at one time or another with whom I have struggled with. I have mentioned some about this in the past.

From time to time I question if I have truly forgiven those who have placed an offense in my bucket. (I have to admit, my bucket has been feeling heavier than I would like lately.) We are told in the scriptures that we must forgive if we are to be forgiven ourselves. Yet while talking to a friend the other night I realized I have not entirely forgiven those who have cast stones. Believe me, like everyone else I have plenty of reasons to "be careful". I have come to not trust some. While I have felt that is okay(when you learn a hot coal is going to burn you it doesn't mean you go out of your way to pick it up again. It is okay to warn others that it is hot, but I am learning that maybe I don't have to go into all of the details in how I discovered this coal is hot. Nor do I need to explain why I am avoiding it, once I have warned others I should not have to justify. They can learn for themselves. Many times all they need to do is observe for themselves and they will see it too.)

I guess in reading this article I realized that it is not always necessary put yourself out there to be burned again, but it is important to love. I was listening to a talk by Sheri Dew a while back and she made the point that we shouldn't talk about things we don't know entirely about. While we can't understand everything the Lord can help us with our short comings. If we are humble he can help us learn to love those we think are un-lovable. I am finding that more than anything I need His help in this area. Other wise I an going to become a bitter person, which I don't want. But it is like He has said He can't help us unless we ask. I mean look at Nephi when he broke his bow, if he hadn't done something himself he could have quite possibly died and what good would that have done for us? Not much. Or the brother of Jared, if he hadn't done his part the Lord may not have done anything for them to have light.

Even if the offenders never ask for forgiveness, and continue to offend I need to turn to the Savior and ask for his help to love them as he does. More likely than not I don't know everything( okay, I know I don't know everything.) Therefore if I want to be forgiven I must too forgive and learn to love as the Lord loves. It is true I have a lot more to learn. Thanks you for your time. Until next time, Tchao-zinho.

No comments:

Post a Comment