Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Enlightment...

I mentioned that at one time I had began a book. I had many chapters written, and a cousin coming to town who does some writing of her own. I asked her to take a look at my writings and critique where she thought I might need some work.

After reading several of the chapters I had written she turned to me and said something that stung for a moment, but has actually came as really good advise over time. She told me: "What you are writing is nothing different from the experiences of a birth mother." I thought she must be somehow mistaken. I was a step mother and my experiences were unique right?

Over time however I have began to take that as a compliment. When I am feeling like I am being "mistreated" I realize that it is quite possible they would be treating their mother in a likewise manner. It makes it a lot easier to not take things so personally. This tid-bit has also helped me to realize that other mothers in all probability do have an idea of what I am feeling.

The only real difference between them and myself is that I walked into a full swing situation: teenage hormones, puberty, Senioritis, and all the stuff that usually takes its time to present itself to mothers. Where mothers have the have the opportunity to watch their children grow into and out of the different seasons in their lives. With that they may have a leverage on relating with the child, a bit better than I have with the children placed in my care.

One other thing that gives me comfort is knowing that Heavenly Father knew what me and each of my family members were going to go through. He knows my strengths and weaknesses, along with theirs. With that knowledge He will help us build one another up (if we allow his influence). And when we are in our weakest moments and fall short He will help us through them even if we see no way out ourselves. I am learning to be quite grateful for the atonement. What a great blessing, and I am probably only beginning to comprehend the blessings it provides us.

No comments:

Post a Comment