Saturday, June 15, 2013

While chatting with a friend the other day She asked me a question that struck a cord with me. She asked me if I have ever wondered about what I could be contributing more somewhere else other than being in the home with my children.

Up until about a year ago I was struggling with this very thing. When I was single I was able to do so many things. While in college I would give 44 hours for school, then work 20-30 hours. To top that off I had church responsibilities to full fill and friends to spend time with, along projects to work on. I felt like I was constantly on the go.

When I married and even after having my first child, things didn't seem to change all that much. With the older children all in school, or away, I could clean the house, go to the gym, work on projects, take care of the baby and juggle other miscellaneous things as well. I even had time to drop in on friends and visit. Still, when the second child came I was able to do many things I wanted to.

However, baby number three (for me, but child eight over all) seemed to come as a curve ball to me. I wasn't sure what hit me when he arrived, and it has taken me some time to get where I feel like I might be becoming human again. For a period of time I often thought of all of the things I could be doing and contributing to society if I wasn't "tied down".

Through some personal trials the past couple of years I have come to understand what a blessing it is that I can be home with my children. Not only can I be home with them but I am able to be a part of their growing up. I am able to watch them grow and experience life, and I can be there when they scrape their knees.

While I watch the youngest of the older ones and seeing how quickly he has grown and sometimes feeling like I have missed out on much of his growing while caring for wee ones. It has helped me realize how quickly time does go by.

The other day I was looking at our wedding pictures. The youngest boy was seven when My hubby and I married. At seven years old he was so little and precious. It seems like it was only last year, and yet, he is now wanting his drivers permit, he is getting summer jobs and he is growing faster than I would like. In seeing this I have come to the realization that the younger three are going to be gone before I know it and I need to cherish these moments now along with the time I can spend with them. One day they are going to be off cherishing their own little ones and I will be on the side lines instead of front stage with them.

So, yes. There are times I have thought and wondered on whether I could contribute more else where. But to be honest, my children are my world. In this season of my life I am glad to be giving them of my time and talents. I may not receive the recognition of magazines, new papers, or a Nobel Prize. However the recognition those could give can not even begin to replace the late night talks I have had with the older children, the hugs of the little children nor can it replace the relationship I have with my children. Oh, how I love staying home with my children and watching them grow. Each stage is a treasured gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment