"As soon as we learn the true
relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father,
and we are His children), then at once prayer becomes natural and
instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11).
Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting
this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and
the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other.
The object of prayer is not to change the will of God but to secure for
ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant
but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require
some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a
form of work and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all
blessings."
While in the MTC (Mission Training Center)preparing for a mission I came across this in my studies. Since that day I have had opportunities where it has been explained to me and a light put on it if will. (David A. Bednar expounded on this in his October 2008 address regarding to prayer.) I have also had moments where I feel like Heavenly Father has blessed me with experiences to teach and enlighten my mind.
Monday when the bombings happened in Boston I had a friend of mine who had participated in the marathon. She is expecting and her hubby and two friends had gone to support her. Before the race her family had fasted and prayed for her to not have complications. As the news came out me and many others were praying that she would be okay along with those who had been with her. I was expressing to another friend that I wish I could be there to help out. I feel like I have been on the side lines for too many things lately, though I feel blessed to be in that position, I have felt 'limited' or helpless in the assistance I am able offer. As I expressed my frustration, I told her I feel like all I can do at times is pray. (In saying that I felt like it was very little.)
However as I have read my marathon runners experience and the experiences of those with her I am realizing what a powerful tool we have in prayer. Prayer doesn't necessarily eliminate pain and suffering. However it can strengthen those looking for strength, it can lift those who feel weak, and yes, it can even provide protection.
Besides my friend coming out unscathed from this weeks events, there are stories throughout the scriptures where prayer has provided that same protection. The situations were different, but they were the same in many regards. Alma the elder prayed that his son's heart would be softened. Not only was it softened but he became an amazing missionary, along with his friends, the sons of Mosiah. Their lives were spared countless times because of the prayers of their fathers and many of their own. There are the Stripling Warriors whose lives were spared through the faith of their mothers and of their own.
In my own experience I have seen prayer heal others, strengthen some, and soften the hearts of yet others. As I read my friends experience Monday evening and Tuesday as she has put it out I have come to realize that I have not been utilizing some of the greatest tools the Lord has made available to me. I am renewed in my desire to rely more upon Him. Who else can bless the lives of those I love better than anyone else? He knows and loves us individually. He knows what will be best for us and those in our lives, what will bring us the greatest happiness in the long run. If we trust this we are able to experience an inner peace that can not be found any other way.
No comments:
Post a Comment