Thursday, April 11, 2013

Life is Fragile

This week had been a roller coaster. On that ride I have come to see how fragile life really is, and how one moment can change so much.

Monday my brother stopped in and visited! It was great, it seems like I see less of him than I do my parents who live in another state. We visited for a little while and then he had to go and pick up his wife and run some errands. As he left I had thought to myself how nice it would be if we could see more of each other.

The next day proved to be an answer to that wish. (In a way I would chose for no one.) My Sister-in-law was in a terrible accident. We had just had a hail/ice storm Monday night. She had returned to town to have a tooth worked on, and on her way home she had hit black ice which caused her to be thrown into a ditch and her vehicle to roll several times. Instead of rolling from side, top, to side again the roll was from front, top, back, wheels, front and landed on the top. She had been wearing her seat belt, but was somehow thrown form the vehicle and ended up having one of her legs pinned. The emergency rescue told my brother she is lucky to be alive.

Tuesday I had gone and visited him for a couple of hours and then came home whipped out from the days events. Yesterday I stayed home and did my thing. This morning when I went to see how she was doing my brother was happier and seemed to be optimistic about everything.

After visiting with him for a little while the Dr. came and asked to talk to him. Because of the pain my sister-in-law was suffering they were unable to take a good cat scan, but with her high white blood count, change in skin tone, and a low grade fever the Dr. was concerned of infection, that it was possible her bowls had received injury. He explained they needed to preform another surgery to go in and see what was going on. The Dr. tried to be optimistic about things, but he didn't sugar coat anything. The surgery could take up to 4 hours.

She has come out of her surgery. They did find that because of her seat belt there were several things the cat scan had missed. However, the Dr. was able to take care of those things and so we are told things are looking better and should be on the up from here. She will remain in ICU a couple more days so they can monitor everything.

As you can see, it had been a wild ride. We are having a family fast for her this weekend. If anyone would like to join us, the added blessings would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 comment: