As I am addressing wedding invites for our eldest son I find something peculiar. The friends of mine that I am sending them to are all older couples. There are exceptions of coarse, there are those who have watched him grow over time that are included, but over all most of the friends I have included are frankly a bit my Sr. The question crossed my mind: "Why am I not sharing this with the friends of my age group?"
While pondering this question I had posed myself, I will admit, I had many thoughts race through my mind. With thoughts came some things I have been trying to settle in my own mind
The people my age are experiencing some of the same things I am, yet I feel like at times they think I am on a completely different page. The truth be told, I am. Aren't we all on different pages? Most people my age have children entering their teens, and younger.
Going through these thoughts I had an epiphany. My husband and I are a unique couple. The man I chose to marry is 18 years my Sr. Yet when we are together I feel he is my best friend, my equal in many ways and honestly I rarely think of him as my Sr. unless it is brought up by an acquaintance, or our older children...Or someone entirely from the out side who cant imagine me having a child old enough to marry, be done with college, have a carrier, or whatever may come up in conversation.
I think the reason I am sharing this exciting experience more with my older friends rather than those my age are because they can relate more in my excitement, they have not experienced it for themselves recently so I think I am somehow letting them live through me. Through my children as they have done with their own.
It is odd being in my position sometimes. To be honest, I never imagined it for myself, yet it feels like I have been living it longer that the reality of it is. This is a good statement, not intended to be facisiouse(sp), or said lightly. My husband is teaching me things still, and I am teaching him sometimes (patience more than anything else I feel mostly.) Over all I enjoy this experience. Each Season of life teaches different lessons, and maybe that is why I relate with different friends at different times.
Just a thought ...or many thoughts that went through my mind this eve.
No comments:
Post a Comment