Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Being the Mom of a Teen....Round 3...*bing*

In the department of mothering I think I am figuring something out. It is difficult to talk to teenagers. This isn't new, in fact I am sure any mother would say its about time I noticed. For two teenagers I just left the communication to their dad, obviously they wanted nothing to do with me...so I thought.

This past weekend with high school starting I was almost mortifies to let our son begin. Honestly homeschooling was considered (that thought alone terrifies me!) For some reason I forgot what High school was like. I hated it yeah, but I survived, that door came to a close and I easily moved on.

Last year each day our son came home from school I asked him how his day was. Each day his response was...and I quote: "Okay, I guess." When I pressed to find out why it was "okay" I really never got anywhere. I came to the conclusion that was the communication I was going to get and I settled.

Monday I asked our young man how school was. You would not be surprised to the response I received. Yep, you guessed it: "Okay I guess." With that as my response I decided to ask how particular classes went. In the beginning he was vague and acted disinterested in my interest. Unthwarted I decided to to dig a little more about a class he had lit up about. To my surprise he not only opened up, but he has made more effort to hang out with the family and just hang out to chat. I have to say I am liking this. It is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment