Monday, February 27, 2012

Reflections

Life presents us with different things, stumbling blocks that can be turned to stepping stones. Friends, family and individuals who help shape and mold us into the desired potential that God sees in us. Only We have to let him and be willing to have His assistance.

Looking back at when I was a kid I have two stories that make this point. When I was about 7 or 8 I had a favorite outfit. My pants were polyester and red and my shirt was pink with white and gray seagulls on the front. The minute this out fit came out of the dryer I would trow it on. My dear mother tried to tell me as kindly as she could that I ought to ware a different top, or, hey! These jeans would look cute with that shirt! No matter, I loved the combo and ignored her suggestions.

On one particular day I was playing with a cousin I looked up too and admired. I still do. On this day I remember her saying; "What would posses you to put that outfit together? It is the ugliest thing I have ever seen! Red and pink do not go together." She was right! why had I not noticed this before? After that My mother was a bit more knowing when it came to dress as well.

All growing up I had a crush on this young man. He knew the scriptures forward and backwards, inside and out. Because he was so knowledgeable I felt this deep need to be better than him at scripture chases, and such. Because of that desire I tried to read the Bible when I turned 8(some of the words threw me for a loop). I studied the scriptures for primary activities and later seminary just so I wouldn't be shown up by this boy. It became almost a competition for me. Thanks to knowing this boy I grew to love the scriptures, the Savior and His gospel. I have a lot to thank him for. Our Senior year of high school he thanked me for being the example and wished that he could have been a greater one for me.

There continue to be people who influence my life. I am thankful for them and the many I have yet to meet.

1 comment: