After leaving a conversation with friends I had a feeling I had offended one of them. While talking to my husband about it trying to decide how to approach it and how I may have done it I decided to check my email. In my in-box was a letter from this friend. Sure enough I had offended her only for an entirely different reason than what I had thought.
When I finished reading my email I was also upset. First of all, why hadn't she called me? Last year I had a major miscommunication due to emails...ugh! For some reason when reading an email you don't know the tone of voice. Along with not knowing the tone of voice there are no facial expressions, body language or anything to read but the words alone.With that comes personal interpretation of what has been written, and then what is being read.In her letter I felt like she was ripping me a newone. So I called her up, not to be confrontational, but because I wanted her to hear what I was saying.
Seriously. I wish I had been born in the 1800's.
Amen to that! My mom said once that if the computer came before the phone, the phone would be more popular. You can actually HEAR someone talk! I DO hate the internet for that reason as well, Melane.
ReplyDeleteWe can't be having the phone become popular. The ACLU will NEVER stand for something that is so blatanly discriminatory against the deaf!
ReplyDelete**Blogger: where's the scarcasm font!**