Thursday, May 26, 2011

Trials and Tribulatiuons

As of late I have a dear friend who is going through a very tough time.

In going through life we set goals for ourselves. As Latter Day Saints some of our goals are of an eternal nature. Women desire to become wives and then mothers, hoping they can keep their families for eternity. It is easy to work towards this goal to a certain degree. When we are single we only have to worry about our own actions. People can act towards us, they can violate our ability to choose, but over all we choose how to react to what life throws our way.

When we marry we bring another individual into the picture. We are trusting with our whole heart that their desires are enough like ours that we can obtain the greatest goal. Eternal life...exaltation. In our society it is beginning to seem that the trust we place in one another can be nieve(I can't think of a better word.) It is very difficult to see a companion make choises that break the covenants we have made together.

It seems that my friend mentioned earlier is going through a horrible trial in this season of her life. In an e-mail she was told her husband no longer had feelings for her. Since this e-mail she is doing all in her power to  come closer to the Lord. Prayer has become as esential as breathing. She is having a war with in her self; "has he lied this whole time?" She is questioning why she was told to go ahead with her marrage when she didn't want or desire to end up single in any way other than death (I am imagining she was hoping that would be much further down the road.)

This couple have beautiful children that are being affected by the whole thing. They have observed that their father doesn't act lovingly towards their mother. They are feeling the stress that their mother is trying to hide.

Today she stopped by and was expressing some of her fears, some of her pain, anguish, personal regrets. In seeing her pain and sorrow, I wish I could tell her this too will pass...yet the clouds seem so black at this time that is hard to see it passing easily.

I think of the scriptures. Peter trying to walk on water, then turning to the Savior. Our Savior in Gethsemeny realizing the weight of the burden he offered to bare and His Father sending him angels to sustain Him through his agony. Lehi died in his agony. Of these each of these men suffered, each turned to God and each found the comfort they seeked. However the comfort they found came on the time table of the Lord.

We have been told that we are never given a burden that the Lord doesn't think we can bare. There are times I have felt I was being crushed. I think He gives us burdens so we can turn to him with humble hearts and ask for His assistance. So He can show us how aware He is of us and how He loves us with all of the love a tender parent can offer His children.

I hope and pray that my friends shoulders will be strengthened to bare this burden she carries. I pray that she will have the strength to see the blessings the Lord has in store for her. I believe God plays favorites with his little girls. I pray she will feel of his love, and find comfort in this time of tribulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment