Saturday, September 25, 2010

Two Masters?

In the present I am having some personal struggles. I have always been a people pleaser. In this past year I have learned that it is impossible to please everyone.

It is like the scripture Matt 6:24 where we are told "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. "

I am finding there are different types of "masters". Depending on the season of our lives, those masters can change. Over all though there should be one Master in my life, and that is My Father in Heaven. When I only try to please him it won't matter what others are expecting of me and if I fall short. Through serving Him I can know I am on the right path and I can do my best to give him my best. There should be comfort found in this.

Where I fall short in serving Him a way has been prepared for me to overcome those short comings. The Savior has made it possible for me to overcome my weaknesses. The Saviors sacrifice I am learning is not merely for repentance, but to help lift our burdens that feel too heavy to bear alone. He helps me carry the yolk of life's adventures. When I turn to him, he is there for me as he was for Peter when he tried his faith in walking on water.

I will admit, I don't have this lesson completely engrained or down. In fact I have to be reminded of it frequently it appears. Sometimes it is easier to say things than to actually act on them. Maybe if I put this out here and read it myself a couple of times it will help in the process of applying it. When I fall I can pick myself up, and when I am feeling too weak, I can remember I have an older brother who wants to help. I only have to solicit for that help and he is there. And when I feel wounded by another the Savior can help me turn the other cheek, or even better walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment