Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Women's Rights and being LDS

I am seeing everywhere talk about the group "Ordain Women". I am one of the many women who belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have read several articles written for and against Ordain Women. And I would like to add my voice.

As a member of the church, I am also a member of the largest Women's organizations in the world. The organization is called Relief Society. This organization is ran by women on a local level and up to the top(meaning world wide). They work with men in the church when it comes to making choices for individuals, and for the whole organization. There are counsels held monthly where women are able to voice concerns and share ideas on how to take care of those concerns within their congregation, and the church at whole.

We have our own meetings that are broadcast throughout the world twice a year just as the men have theirs. I do not see men clamoring to ours thinking they are being treated unjustly. In fact my husband stays home so I can go to these meetings with out children in tow, and I know many other husbands who do the same.

Our Sunday meetings are held in a nicely prepared room with plush seats. While the men sit it the cultural hall/gym on cold metal folding chairs, this is not just in my congregation, but many others I have been to throughout the nation, and South America. Our organization has activities on a monthly basis, and again many husbands are able and willing to tend children so their wives can attend. We do have those few who think providing for their families should take priority at times(shame on them). For those there is usually a care provided so the women can attend if they choose.

In my home My husband does not make choices for our family with out consulting with me. Have you seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? Remember where the mother tells the daughter the woman has the power to turn her husbands head? I feel I have the power to persuade my husband. We talk about things. My husband treats me like his equal partner. We both have our rolls. My husband helps me with the house, he helps me with the cooking. He helps me with the laundry. He helps me with the children. He provides for our family. If I were to complain I would be an ingrate.

Personally speaking. I have the same right my husband has to receive personal revelation, for myself, and for our family. When my husband and I disagree we talk about  it and pray about it. Sometimes I realize he is right. Sometimes he realizes I am right. Sometimes a child or friend might have a perspective that neither of us had considered, meaning neither of us were right. Humility is required in any relationship.

To put it out there, I do not feel oppressed. I do not feel unequal to my husband. Believe me. I have witnessed it in other religions. I have not been brain washed, I think and speak for myself. I have my own opinion, and have no problem sharing it. I have grown in this church, but just because I was raised in it doesn't mean I didn't have to have my own conversion. I have questioned things for myself and came to my own understanding. With that said I hope others will come to their own understandings and question things themselves. Ask God. He still speaks to those willing to listen. He still gives individuals their own inspiration, revelation, He speaks to us when we ask willing to receive an answer, and willing to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment