Sometimes
I think I would love to be a writer. Others an artist, and yet others
a seamstress. Yet day to day I am a wife and mother. Some days I do
better than others. It seems the days that are planned are my better
days.
I went to Europe this spring with our teen. I had the time of my life. I absolutely loved Belgium, it was so green and lush, the food was absolutely amazing, and the people I met on out trip were just as amazing.
Northern France was everything I imagined it would be. The houses had the old character of stucco and wood with painted shutters and flower boxes at most every window. Each home has a beautiful garden of flowers, roses and herbs. They were so picturesque. We went to a convent for dinner each night we stayed there, and the nuns were absolutely delightful. One always had a pleasing grin upon her face and as she served dinner her face would light up, her head could all but keep up with her feet and body as she went around serving dishes to each of the different tables.
Another sister, who seemed to be the only one confident in her English was stern looking but actually quite friendly to talk to. When given the opportunity I asked her to share her story of how she received her call, and she shared it openly and frankly. When a girl she had watched a movie where a nun was chauffeuring and as she drove merrily was never in an accident as if God was watching over her. As the girl grew she was one day in town and saw a nun driving with a similar demeanor as the one in the childhood film. She decided to visit the convent, and while there, she was on the stairs by herself and felt as if the Lord was with her and told her this is where she was needed and He had been waiting a long time and preparing the calling for her. I thought the story she shared was very quaint. I know God is aware of each of his children and speaks to each of them as they are prepared to hear.
I was here for my birthday. We had visited Omaha beach where many lives were giving for the freedoms I am blessed to have today. The spirit there was sweet. There were stories of young men who, even after being severely injured they plodded forward knowing if they did not complete their mission they would be letting others down, and maybe even letting the plans that were in affect down. There were innumerable stories of bravery and courage. As I read these stories I wondered if in the same situation I would have the courage that many of them had shown. What great men, what great boys. As we walked among the graves I thought of all of teh many stories not shared due to no one living to share them. What a humbling experience. Afterwords, for lunch we found a Creperia bistro style for lunch. I ordered myself a delicious Smoked salmon and spinach, with goat cheese crepe. I savored every bite! For desert I ordered a desert crepe but was disappointed with my choice. One of the others from our group had ordered a caramel one that was simple divine. She shared a bite with me and the caramel warmed the taste buds and was to be savored as well. For dinner the nuns fed us a delicious pork dish, with the best mashed potatoes I may have ever had. And for dessert they topped it off with crème brule. By far the best birthday of this kind...ever.
Paris was our next stop. I have to say I was met with great disappointment here. I have always imagined it in a romantic sense I guess. However when we arrived it was very dirty, there is a lot of poverty and Paris is extremely crowded, much like Sao Paulo. With that said, there were some high lights even here. Paris is rich with history, architecture and art. They pride themselves in knowing the history and sharing it with those willing to listen. Their history is very dark, but it is amazing to hear of the courage of the people. I can see how the lord helped them and and lifted them when they were in their greatest darkness.
Our flight home was a long one. I watched 4 movies. I watched Les Misrables, and after being to some of the “bigger” places in Paris I realized how sad the era was. I watched a couple of Disney movies to lighten the mood and then watched The Help which was an excellent choice to share our history and understand a little more what the slaves went through. From this experience I feel more gratitude to live in this day and dispensation, the fullest of times. We experience so many freedoms that even today others may long for.
I went to Europe this spring with our teen. I had the time of my life. I absolutely loved Belgium, it was so green and lush, the food was absolutely amazing, and the people I met on out trip were just as amazing.
Northern France was everything I imagined it would be. The houses had the old character of stucco and wood with painted shutters and flower boxes at most every window. Each home has a beautiful garden of flowers, roses and herbs. They were so picturesque. We went to a convent for dinner each night we stayed there, and the nuns were absolutely delightful. One always had a pleasing grin upon her face and as she served dinner her face would light up, her head could all but keep up with her feet and body as she went around serving dishes to each of the different tables.
Another sister, who seemed to be the only one confident in her English was stern looking but actually quite friendly to talk to. When given the opportunity I asked her to share her story of how she received her call, and she shared it openly and frankly. When a girl she had watched a movie where a nun was chauffeuring and as she drove merrily was never in an accident as if God was watching over her. As the girl grew she was one day in town and saw a nun driving with a similar demeanor as the one in the childhood film. She decided to visit the convent, and while there, she was on the stairs by herself and felt as if the Lord was with her and told her this is where she was needed and He had been waiting a long time and preparing the calling for her. I thought the story she shared was very quaint. I know God is aware of each of his children and speaks to each of them as they are prepared to hear.
I was here for my birthday. We had visited Omaha beach where many lives were giving for the freedoms I am blessed to have today. The spirit there was sweet. There were stories of young men who, even after being severely injured they plodded forward knowing if they did not complete their mission they would be letting others down, and maybe even letting the plans that were in affect down. There were innumerable stories of bravery and courage. As I read these stories I wondered if in the same situation I would have the courage that many of them had shown. What great men, what great boys. As we walked among the graves I thought of all of teh many stories not shared due to no one living to share them. What a humbling experience. Afterwords, for lunch we found a Creperia bistro style for lunch. I ordered myself a delicious Smoked salmon and spinach, with goat cheese crepe. I savored every bite! For desert I ordered a desert crepe but was disappointed with my choice. One of the others from our group had ordered a caramel one that was simple divine. She shared a bite with me and the caramel warmed the taste buds and was to be savored as well. For dinner the nuns fed us a delicious pork dish, with the best mashed potatoes I may have ever had. And for dessert they topped it off with crème brule. By far the best birthday of this kind...ever.
Paris was our next stop. I have to say I was met with great disappointment here. I have always imagined it in a romantic sense I guess. However when we arrived it was very dirty, there is a lot of poverty and Paris is extremely crowded, much like Sao Paulo. With that said, there were some high lights even here. Paris is rich with history, architecture and art. They pride themselves in knowing the history and sharing it with those willing to listen. Their history is very dark, but it is amazing to hear of the courage of the people. I can see how the lord helped them and and lifted them when they were in their greatest darkness.
Our flight home was a long one. I watched 4 movies. I watched Les Misrables, and after being to some of the “bigger” places in Paris I realized how sad the era was. I watched a couple of Disney movies to lighten the mood and then watched The Help which was an excellent choice to share our history and understand a little more what the slaves went through. From this experience I feel more gratitude to live in this day and dispensation, the fullest of times. We experience so many freedoms that even today others may long for.
No comments:
Post a Comment