Thursday, March 29, 2012

thoughts

I find it funny. I was reading an article today about Mom's and their "nevers". I loved it! The mom listed some of the things she had thought she would never do as a mother, and how being a mother she has realized the reality is quite different from the dream.

While I read her article I though back before children and how I totally related to her. My children were never going to have messy faces, always have clean clothes and be well mannered. Their hair would always be combed and put in ponies or braids. They would never play in the dirt (and who would think of eating it...okay, mine do.) Their bedrooms were going to look like the ones you see on HGTV, as would my house would for that matter. I was going to have cookies baked each afternoon (no wonder Americans are putting on inches...) And every meal was going to be something fancy shmancy like roast and potatoes, or...I don't know but it was all going to be wonderful! Oh and lets not forget that my kids were going to eat healthy darn it!(Isn't that a contradiction with having cookies every afternoon. ahem.)

As hard as I tried reality is my children can be clean if I am willing to do loads of clothes a day, and sometimes they find my chocolate stash and I only notice when I am pulling them out of the car for an appointment. There have been mornings the children have escaped with uncombed hair and I felt I was doing good to have them fed and dressed.

If you were to drop in on me unannounced(even announced these days at times) you will find stacks of laundry on furniture, toys here and there on the floor...even kitchen utensils (thanks to my little monkey) and be prepared, I have been embarrassed after a friend has used the bathroom to find *gasp*undies or a pull-up on the floor along with jammies from the night before. I can't brag about the bedrooms either darn.

With all of this I wouldn't change my kiddos though. I am trying to teach them to pick up after them selves, don't get me wrong. And though it is overwhelming at times to see my littlest getting into all sorts of mischief, I wouldn't trade him for any goldfish in the tank. My little man is just as precious, and I love to see my little lady's creative mind at work. They are going to grow up just as their siblings have and then I will miss this season. I might as well take this moment to enjoy them...while they are small.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. Love it and love your writing...both real and hopeful at the same time! I'm going through a teen struggling with depression...and I'm struggling knowing how to get through this time of life. I look at friends with their newborns and am so happy for them. I will tell them to enjoy them while they are little and draw you pictures and give kisses even though days are tiring and messes seem never ending. I'm in the days when the messes are much more complicated and showing love for a struggling child is met with indifference and help is met with hostility. I am hoping to look back in future years and see more roses than thorns...but I won't tell my friends with young children about that part. No need to tell them about the thorns because they will be so worried about them they won't be able to enjoy the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, Thank you. My prayers are with you. Teenagers are a whole other ball of wax. Your child will recognize your love and devotion to them. Hang in there, give your best and then turn it over to the Lord. He blows me away at how in tune he is with our individual lives.

    ReplyDelete