In church I teach the 8-9 year olds. Everyone of those kids are full of personality! I love teaching them. They come at life from directions I learn from myself. A couple of weeks ago our lesson was on being part of a family and what it means. Each child was asked what it meant do be part of their family. They brought up their traditions, education, chores, etc.
One young lady in my class told us she loves being part of her family because they are laid back on rules. (Know her parents, I had to question what she meant.) She went on to explain that she can dress as immodestly as she wants. To be honest I was taken a back. Her mother is an example to me in so many ways, I wasn't sure what to say, or even how to respond. The rest of the class however told her their thoughts. Some of them weren't gentle about it. Her mother wasn't there that week, and I forgot about the instance after that.
Come forward to this past week. This same young lady told me Sunday she had an announcement. I gave her a moment. She turned to the class and brimming with pride she said: "Just so you all know and in case you haven't noticed, I have dressed modestly since you have all told me what you thought." Then she sat herself down quite saticfied with herself.
Later this week her mother stopped by for something and I shared with her what had happened. She didn't say anything and I thought for sure I had somehow made a major offence. She then called me a little while later and shared this with me: (I apologize it isn't an exact quote...but close)
"The other day when you told me about the discussion with my daughter I started thinking. In the past I have done all that I can to teach her what I feel is most important. I have told her more than once the importance of modesty and have felt it landed on deaf ears. I decided I have done what I can and have had to turn it over to the Lord. It is fun to see how he has used her peers to teach her what I have tried to teach all along. For a couple of weeks I have noticed her begin to point out immodest clothing with a different attitude."
We talked some more and then I started thinking. I looked back on my own life. My mother had tried to teach me so many things, and I was stubborn as a kid too. Some of my lessons came from unexpected sources. I have read somewhere and I wish I could find the quote*...alas I have not , but I have read that Heavenly Father has not relinquished his rights as a father just because He sent His children to us. He doesn't expect us to do it all on our own. He wants to help us, and who knows us or our children better? A dear friend of mine once said that Heavenly Father micro manages our lives. I am glad he does, and as a parent I see it more. After I have done all that I can I need to put it in His hands and trust that it is okay. It will be.
I found the quote: "“Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God
and that yours is a custodial relationship to them, that He was a parent
before you were parents and that He has not relinquished His parental
rights or interest in these little ones...”
(Gordon B. Hinkley, Church News 1 March 1997, 2)
No comments:
Post a Comment