Monday, January 9, 2012

Understanding

There are times I feel so incredibly blessed, and I can't find the words to express it. However today I want to share some lessons I have been taught as of late.

Growing up my mother always expressed her concerns and fears for her children. She worried about EVERYTHING. It actually drove me crazy at times. By all means she was not over protective, we could play outside with our friends, go to sleepovers, she would even give permission for us to go toilet papering on the weekends. Concern was expressed when we had new friends and she had not met them, or just some day to day things.

As a mother today I have come to understand her fears and concerns. In fact, I share many of them for my own children. I don't feel comfortable with them going to sleepovers, toilet papering is something of the past, and even playing outside is something I feel anxiety at sometimes. My kindergardner has shared somethings she has learned or heard from class mates that I had only heard about in 4-5th grades. In observing the direction society has taken there are times I have a very overwhelmed feeling that my children don't have a chance.

In my scripture reading the other day I came across this scripture: 1 Ne. 14:14 "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were aarmed with brighteousness and with the cpower of God in great glory."

This is a Book of Mormon scripture. The prophet Nephi has asked the Lord to help him understand some of his fathers teachings. The Lord takes him into a vision and speaks to him. He shows him many things through the span of time. In this chapter he is being shown our time. I have worried, I know we are told that good will prevail, but this chapter gave me comfort I have not felt. Nephi saw us, the Lords covenant people were "armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory."

The comfort I found was that When we are keeping the commandments, and the covenants we make with the Lord we are arming ourselves. We are protecting ourselves.

This past Sunday in Sunday School we were talking about when Nephi's father was instructed to take his family and leave Jerusalem so they would escape the destruction that was about to take place. Our teacher went on to tell or explain exactly what that destruction was. Parents eating the flesh of their children, slavery, and other gruesome things.

With escaping this, Lehi and his family were not free from trials. Lehi still watched children choose to murmur and make life miserable for the rest of the family, they still had to wander in the wilderness wondering if the Lord really had a plan for them. However, the blessings out weighed all of these trials(which by the way strengthen Lehi and those willing to follow the Lord.) A nation was preserved. Lehi was able to watch more than one child of his gain their own testimonies. A record was preserved, and another nation was able to witness of Christ as Savior of the world.(I am sure you can come up with  things I have not listed as well.)

What I came to with all of this is: If Lehi was protected in his righteousness, my family can be too. It is my responsibility to teach my children and put my trust in the Lord. If I can do my part, then the lord will certainly protect my family as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment