Monday, January 10, 2011

Mental Timers

Confession: I rely on mental timers...dang.

Example: For the past month I have been feeling like I Should be done with this pregnancy. Seriously, why am I still carrying this little guy? I would love to hold him in my arms and be able to put him down once in a while. A couple days ago I was thinking about a miscarriage I had had last spring...I must have set a timer then and forgot to reset it with this pregnancy. Since I have come to this conclusion I haven't been feeling quite so antsy. I am actually enjoying it. Now if I could just get into the nesting thing...the baby is going to be here in 2-3 weeks and I haven't really started getting ready. I could be doing it now, but here I am.

Example: I have a teenager that is waiting for his mission call. I feel like I am impatiently waiting as well. I am looking forward to him leaving, and growing from the experience. He seems to know everything better than myself at this time and it is driving me nuts...his parenting skills are even better than mine. I am ready for him to stretch his wings and fly, for experience is better than observation. And unfortunately the nest leaves little space to do so.

I was talking with my husband about this in two separate occasions. One I was told I shouldn't be so anxious. The latter conversation, he admitted that he too uses mental timers. I am glad I am not alone in this. I enjoy my children, but I also enjoy watching them grow, and sometimes it is pleasant to watch from a distance. My mother has told me she felt the same at times. So I don't feel so bad about some of the mental timers, they must be somewhat normal, and for good cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment