Saturday, June 2, 2012

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease...oh my!

Well, we have come upon a new sort of adventure here in our home as of late. While out visiting family over the Memorial Day weekend, my youngest little guy picked up Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. This is not to be confused with hoof and mouth disease that animals get. My little guy has been pretty much miserable. I have had people ask me about what it is.

Besides it being a disease that quarantines you to your home for 10 days, and is extremely contagious let me tell you what I have learned about it the past couple of days.

It starts out with an extremely high fever. We were able to keep it down with Ibuprofen, and luke warm baths. A day or two later blisters began to appear around my little guys mouth, the bottom of his feet, and palms of his hands. He cried and cried. I took him to the Dr. where we discovered the blisters were covering his throat and inside his mouth. She told me to keep him hydrated, and that is pretty much all I could do for him. So I pretty much held and comforted the boy 2 days straight. He is feeling much better now but has scabs all over his feet, legs, arms, hands and mouth. Ugh.

Last night started round 2 with my little lady. She had the fever and then seemed fine. But last night she woke up with her feet blistering and burning. I gave her some Ibuprofen and put Aloe on her feet, and she was able to sleep the rest of the night through. It has moved to her hands this morning. With that said I guess I will be restarting the clock on when I can rejoin public life to a full-filling level.

*sigh*

Through study of my own, I have found that I need to sterilize binkys daily, wash glasses regularly rather than letting him carry the same sippy cup around all day. And I need to be better at making sure there is less cup, spoon and fork sharing.

I just say to myself: "This too shall pass." And it shall.

1 comment:

  1. Gwen and Reid both got it sometime late last year. Gwen still has an eczema or something on her feet because of it. We have been struggling with that!

    ReplyDelete