Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas

This year has been wonderful! For the past few years I have dreaded Christmas. I was sharing this with a friend, because I know the way I respond to things is part of my problem. I anticipate things to happen(usually the worst unfortunately), and when things are said or done because of my preconceived ideas I respond negatively and in turn receive a negative response. Crazy how the circle repeats its self every year.

As I shared this with my friend she told me matter of factually that I should not "prepare" myself for what was to come, but rather pray for Heavenly Fathers help. She said she would keep me in her prayers. Following our visit I returned home, and half heartedly shared with Heavenly Father my concerns and then told Him honestly that I wanted to change on my part. I felt like I hadn't really given him much notice so it was possible He wouldn't hear me, thus the hesitancy.

Family began to arrive. Instead of hiding out and holding back like has become my custom I decided to go with my patient and loving husband to pick children up from the air port. I didn't force myself into any conversation, mostly just listened.  Instead of hanging back I joined things. But when I felt like I didn't want to I didn't let anyone make the decision for me. Christmas Eve my parents joined us for the first time ever, and it was a pleasant evening.

Christmas morning rolled around and as the opening of gifts began I realized everyone was happy and enjoying themselves. The whole day was peaceful and relaxing, we played games, chatted, and at times just did our own thing. There were a couple of times I bit my tongue but others have seemed to be able to do the same, and it has been completely different than what I had been envisioning the past couple of weeks.

Today one of our boys and I were talking. I was telling him I think this is honestly the best Christmas since I have married his father. He looked at me in surprise and said "I thought I was the only one to notice a difference." He went on to tell me he had texted his brother last night who was unable to come and told him this Christmas has miraculously had no contention and he was surprised.

I love answered prayers. Heavenly Father really does want our happiness. I am grateful for wise friends, a Father who cares and is patient enough to wait for us. I feel loved and blessed beyond words this year. Merry Christmas all!

No comments:

Post a Comment