Have you ever caught yourself being negative or complaining? (My Hand is waving..ooh! Ohh! Pick me, pick me!) I do, I catch myself more often than I would like to admit. I have a dear friend who told me once, that I invent things to worry about and then get frustrated over. I was just a bit offended when I first heard this because I felt what I had been sharing with her saying.
Since that conversation however I have had a couple glimpses of my self, and then others. I have come to realize two things. First, the Grass is always greener on the other side (though it is just as hard to maintain). Second that when life gives us lemons we have two choices, one to squeeze the juice into our wounds (not the best option) or, we can make lemonade or lemon bars (Definitely less painful and better results right?)
As I observed this I came to realize something. I am indeed very blessed. There isn't enough time or space to list my blessings (besides I don't want to brag *grin*). However I do want to share somethings I am learning about myself. Sometimes when I am complaining it is because I am wanting the other individual to understand that I might understand them a little. Other times it is because I am forgetting my blessings and that darn lemon juice does sting when it touches a fresh wound. Dang. I am a whiner. Double dang.
Through my life lessons though I am discovering that there are more often than not other sides to the story. With that being said most often I don't even have a clue about the other story, I don't really understand and frankly the other side might be greener, but who is to say that while mowing their side the other individual didn't have some nasty weeds they had to deal with before they moved in? I am finding while it is easy to be negative, and critical of others we should try to give them the benefit of the doubt. I mean who is to say that the night before they were up till wee hours in the morning trying to help someone else. I know there are times I am hoping that others have given me the benefit of the doubt. I am as flawed as they come. There are a lot of great people out there, hoping the same will be shown them. Only they may have had heavier mowers to push, or their mower may be in the shop. It is easy to look over the fence and judge, but it is hard when others look over and judge our lawn.
I have been working on recognizing my blessings more and not living as in the moment. In recognizing my blessings I have realized that there are many people out there who have had it harder than me. Some of these individuals have made the best lemonade I have tasted. I have the right to have my hard times. However instead of complaining about them and holding on to them, I should learn from them, move on and use them to make my own lemonade. When I do this I am no only helping myself, many times I am helping those around me make their own lemonade. When I find myself complaining I have found when others are involved that it never affects the other party in a positive manner. Why is it so easy to pull or put others down? I know, possibly it is because we don't know or understand their story. I am working on trying to build others up...at very least give them the benefit of the doubt. I am finding that some of the people I have been frustrated with make the best friends, like myself they just need someone to try and understand, and just love them for who they are and what they bring to the table, they might make a delicious lemon pie.
***Since writing this I have been shown even more of my weaknesses. They seem unbearable at the moment. and I am feeling more than overwhelmed. Mainly because of attitudes that I find myself possessing. How do I rid myself of the anger and frustration? How do I give it to the Lord and accept His cleansing, knowing after the burning I can feel peace? I am struggling for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment