Friday, February 11, 2011

What a crazy week!

Well, I could have lives with out this past week. Though my husband assures me that this week is an experience I will be able to use to either relate to others or teach them in the future. So I bet you are just a tad curious. Don't be, I am about to tell you all about it.

Last Wednesday My leg was hurting, there were red blotches on my calf and a couple on my thigh. I called the Dr to see if it was something I ought to worry about. He instructed me I ought to head to the ER right away. A friend of mine was coming into town and I asked her to join me because hubby needed to stay home with the baby and kids.

In the ER they performed an ultrasound on my leg and decided I didn't have a blood clot. *Phew*. The instructions were for me to go home, put heat compresses on my legs and exercise as my leg would allow. I could take Ibuprofen as needed, if I followed the instructions on the bottle. She told me pretty much I had little to worry about.

That night I put a heat compress on it. It felt great while the heat was on it, but hurt like a blimey bugger when the heat was removed.

By Sunday the red covered most of my calf and a good portion of my thigh. It was very painful to the touch, and walking was a miserable task. At church I showed my leg to a couple of friends, and they were shocked! The informed me I ought to go in as soon as I could to have it looked at again. After church my hubby and I headed int Urgent Care. On my way in I said a prayer that the Dr. who looked at my leg would know what he was looking at and know how to take care of my problem.

When I was in with the Dr. He took one look at my leg and I could tell it wasn't good. He told me I have Celulitus and Flabitus. He was shocked to see it having progressed as far as it had before I had decided to come in. Basically what it is is an infection in my veins just under the skin. He had blood work drawn and checked my temp. both came in normal (thank goodness, otherwise he later told me he would have had me hospitalized.) He than had the nurse give me a big juicy shot right in the buttock. I was instructed to avoid putting heat on it and stay off it as much as my children would allow, keep it elevated! Return Monday and Tuesday for follow up shots and we will see from there.

On my visit Tuesday I was given an antibiotic to take for the next two weeks as my leg clears up. Wednesday my leg turned purple. I had to take the little one in and his Dr looked at it and told me it is healing nicely. So here we are on the mend. I now only have a dull pain, and and ugly leg. I have been blessed with the help of family and ward family through this whole ordeal. I can't express the gratitude I feel enough!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awful! My goodness, I am sorry. Thanks you for your praise over Gwen. She is SO sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete